Sharing the Gospel in the Washington Spokane Mission

Monday, October 10, 2011

24 hour baptism?? Check!!

Hello family!!
  What a crazy first week with lots happening!  I can't wait to tell you all about it... :)
  Well, first off, Tuesday was transfer day and  Sis. Young went off to South Hill and Sis. Perez came here.  I love Sis. Perez! She's from Wisconsin and she's been on her mission for about 14 months.  Both of her parents are spanish speaking, and so she speaks it perfectly.  She's the closest I'll ever have to having a native companion. :) haha  She's awesome and I'm excited for the chance I have to serve with her. 
  On Wednesday we were supposed to have a lesson with Jessica at the Palmer's home, but we got a call from her at like 3 asking if we could stop by asap.  So, we went over there at 4:00 and she told us that her husband got a job in NY and that they were leaving the next day to go drive to NY.  Our hearts dropped!!  She was so sad b/c she wanted to be baptized here before she left to NY, but they had to leave like right away...  It was kinda heartbreaking to see her so sad.  So, we told her we'd see what we could do for her.  So, we called our bishop and he wanted to get Pres Palmer's opinion, so we called Pres Palmer and talked to him for about 20 minutes about the whole situation... He then called Bishop Reimer and they had a good talk and then at about 7:30 that night we got a call from Pres. Palmer telling us to start planning her baptism for the next day!  We were on the phone for two hours straight talking to members and getting people to participate in the baptism by giving talks and prayers and then we went over to a members house and typed it all up.  By 9:30 we had our program and had talked with our District leader to have Jessica's baptism interview at 11:00am on Thursday and had scheduled the font to have the baptism at 2:00pm.  It all turned out so good!  Bishop Reimer was a huge help and the members of the ward were awesome.  There was still a really good turn out at the baptism.  She got her interview in the morning and then three hours later was baptized and then right after the service she was confirmed and then at 3:00pm she was on the road with her family to NY!  Talk about craziness... But despite the last minute-ness of it all, it was a very good baptism.  She was so excited and so ready. :) The talks were absolutely perfect for her and her situation, I just couldn't believe it.  I really felt that Heavenly Father helped us through it all so that it was still a good baptism and would be what Jessica needed.  After she was baptized we were getting ready to close and she asked if she could say something.  She got up and bore her testimony that she knew this was the Church of Jesus Christ and she is so grateful for the knowledge that she now has of our Savior and of his love for each and every one of us and for the plan that Our Heavenly Father has.  It was an amazing testimony and completely surprised me that she got up.  There's nothing better than to hear an investigator bearing their testimonies... These are the best moments on the mission. :)  I love her and I was sad to see her go, but I know that she'll do great things in NY and I have no doubt that she'll continue to go.  Bishop Reimer has already been in contact with the Bishop in NY, so hopefully the transition is smooth. 
  The craziness of a mission, I love it!  This Friday we were also challenged by our District Leader to read the Book of Mormon this transfer... And then he proceeded to give us all a copy and he gave Sis. Perez and I one in Spanish.  So, we're gonna have it read in five weeks!  It's alot, but it's kind of neat to have that study time as companions during the day. 
  I love being a missionary! I love the opportunity I have to serve my Heavenly Father.  There really are people everywhere who are prepared to receive the gospel of Jesus Christ.  When I first met Jennifer and  Jessica, I never would have thought they would both be where they are today, as soon as they have been. Lack of faith on my part.  I love them and sharing the gospel with so many more!  The Church is true, I am so grateful for my Savior, and The Book of Mormon has such a special power that helps us grow closer to him. 
  I love you all!  Thank you for all the examples you have been in my life.  Have another great week! Make it a good day :)
 
Love,
  Hermana Haws
 
PS- Jeremy, I know this one's long, but it's all necessary :)