Sharing the Gospel in the Washington Spokane Mission

Monday, May 7, 2012

The Booming City of Warden!

Querida Familia!
  What a crazy and busy week this has been!!  But, Sis. Ziegler and I are alive and well in the little farming town of Warden.  Dad told me last week that there's a population of about 2500 people, and I'd like to know where they all are. :)  Just kidding.  It is a pretty small town, very different than anywhere else I've served, but I love it so far :)  There's a small intown part and then there are a ton of farms and homes out in the country side.  Sometimes it's about seven miles out to a members house.  But, things are great!  Just a little idea of what the towns like.  There are 3 paved roads, and other portions are partially paved, there are no stoplights although we do have two caution lights.  I have to get used to how people give directions too... "You take U road up to road 3.5 and then turn right and go for about a couple of miles and you'll pass some fruit trees on your left and then you go about another mile and there'll be a big rock that you have to turn after.  Then you follow that road and you'll be at our house.  Gray house, gray truck, gray barn and a flag in the yard."  yeah, numbers and addresses go out the window.  :)  There's a potato factory here and also an onion packing plant.  Most of the members are farmers and so it's been a busy time for them.  It's been corn planting season.  I'm learning a lot here! :)  But we have really good members and leadership here in the ward and branch.   The branch has about 20 people that attend and the ward has about... a lot more people. I'm not sure how many but it's a pretty good sized ward.  Actually funny fact, our ward mission leader is from Eagar, AZ!  His name is Paul Reynolds.  He said he went to school with Buddy and around that age group.  He's awesome and i love working with him.  I love my companion too. Sis. Ziegler is from Carthage, IL and she's grown up in small towns all her life.  She's willing and ready to work, so we're excited for this transfer!
  So, this week we've done a lot with meeting with members, talking to the couple of investigators that we have, and then we've been tracting a lot.  But we already have a ton of potentials that we get to follow up on this week, so we're pretty excited about that.  One of investigators name is Charmain Halverson.   She has a 12 year old daughter named K'Lynn and a 10 year old son named Jeremiah.  They've had a really hard time coming to church b/c of her job, but she just a got a new job not too long ago, and so it's easier for her to go.  Except for yesterday her phone was turned off when we tried to call her, so she didn't make it.  Bummer.  But we're going by and talking with her this week, so it's great! We have a couple of potentials that we're pretty excited about, but I'll wait until next week to give you an update, that way I'll have more information.  When we had a chance to meet with our bishop he told us that he wanted us to "Get to work and serve others" and then to "Search out families."  I thought those were pretty good points of advice, or whatever you'd like to call them.  Service is one way that really softens the hearts of people and it's a way that we really live and become more like Christ.  I am more than ready to do that.  Sis Ziegler and I have just put service clothes in the car so we're ready at any point in time.  It's pretty awesome. :)  And then we know that the gospel really blesses families.  What better way to have others accept the gospel than when they accept it with those whom they really love? The gospel blesses families.
  Well, I think that's about it for the week!  I love you all and am so grateful for everything you do! Thank you for the prayers this past week.  They are so appreciated!  Have a great week!

Love,
  Hermana Haws