Sharing the Gospel in the Washington Spokane Mission

Monday, July 16, 2012

last letter?!

Querida Familia!

  Well, it's been a great week!  I'm was excited to hear about Brielle's baptism!  Way to go Brielle!  :)  I'm super excited for you. It hasn't been as hot this week, so that was great. :) We also had a really good week with finding new investigators and teaching less active members, and four of the less actives we're working with came to church yesterday! I don't know why, but that always seems to be who I get to work with more.  I love it though.  They are children of our Heavenly Father and have momentarily stepped off the path, but we're here to bring them in again.  But, it was still a great week with investigators, so let me tell you about them!
  Daisy: Daisy is still doing well, but not much change there. She is wanting to share more and more though with her boyfriend and actually prayed that he would have to desire to listen to us and to join her in what she's learning.  It was kind of cool to hear her pray for that.  Hopefully we'll get a chance to talk with him soon.  Dorothy and Ashanti:  We were finally able to teach them again.   We just stopped by for a quick sec and didn't have much time, but we shared a scripture with them and talked about the need to have Christ be our foundation and the blessings we see and receive when that happens.  We're going back tomorrow.  Elizabet: our new investigator!  She's awesome! She was a potential we've had for a while, but she'd never set up a return appointment. Well, we'd read with her in the Book of Mormon and then she'd read a little bit and then we finally just started her from the beginning with 1 Nephi 1. Well, when we went back, she'd read to chapter 1 Nephi 11! And understood most of it! And she'd highlighted verses and shared them with us, it was amazing! I couldn't stop smiling. She has a lot of personal issues that she is working on, but she said she likes reading the Book of Mormon because it brings her peace and calm.  I love it when investigators start to read and develop a love for the scriptures.  That's when they're holding onto the Iron Rod themselves, really developing their own relationship with Christ and not just depending on us to lead them to everything.  
  This week I got to give a talk in the English ward, and after about throwing away the starts of five different talks, I finally found the topic I needed to speak about. I chose to speak on conversion. That's something that I've really focused a lot on these past couple of weeks. I went through and talked about the attributes of converted people and how it's a process, not a singular event. I know that too be true. I know that with everything that has gone on in the mission so far, that they have all been little events that have helped me to become more converted to the gospel of Jesus Christ. This is His work, He helps us to do it His way. The little preparations we make all lead us to be able to be sharper tools in his hands so that he can use us the way he needs to, in the most effective way possible. I am grateful for the experience that I had this week to really think and focus on the process of conversion. 
I know that this is the gospel and church of Jesus Christ. He lives. He loves us. He wants us all to be able to return and live with our Heavenly Father. That's why he came down and taught us and atoned for us. With his sacrifice we have a friend who knows exactly how we feel, we have someone to turn to and ask for forgiveness when we do something wrong, we have someone who has made it possible for us to have eternal life and to live with our families for forever. I love my Savior. I love his gospel and the chance I've had for the past 18 months to share the hope and truth that the gospel brings.  It's hard to believe that I'm coming in on the last week of my mission, but I'm grateful for the experience and to have one more week.  
  Thank you all for your love and support for the past 18 months! I love you all and I know that I have the best family in the world.  Have a great week and (I can't believe it's time to say it, but...) see you next week! 

Love,
 Hermana Haws

PS- Kellen,  HAPPY BIRTHDAY next week! :)