Sharing the Gospel in the Washington Spokane Mission

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Week #5

Hi my family and friends!! :)

  There are no words for this weather up here! It's nuts!!  Some days it snows and is freezing and the next it's sunny and sometimes it happens in the same day and it decides that it wants to snow and be sunny at the same time.  I didn't even know that was possible!! However, I guess I will be grateful for any exposure to the snow that I can get! :)

  It's been busy up here at the MTC!  Lots of teaching appointments and opportunities to learn and I am extremely grateful for the opportunity I have to be here experiencing all of them.  It's a little weird to think that I only have about 4 weeks left here... But, I'm doing the best I can to learn what I can here! 

  This week we get to teach in the TRC but here's the kicker... It has to be in todo espanol! :)  For the past four weeks we have been just doing a task in spanish and then teaching in english but now we have a spanish task and then teach in the first lesson in spanish as well!!  :)  It's a tad bit daunting but it'll be good. :)  We've been working on it and working on a section at a time to get vocab down, and it's been fun forming thoughts and parts of the lesson together.  I don't know why, but this week has been a pretty good week with spanish... I'm definitely starting to feel a little bit more confident and I am actually understanding about 85% of all the our various teachers say to us in the classroom.  Just gotta keep working at it... :)

  So this week has been the week of connections.  Last Thursday I saw Tommy Gannon on my classroom floor!!  We have Japanese classrooms on our floor so I saw him in the open area and talked to him for a little bit.  Then we went to the TE on Thursday and we worked with a Sis. Hunt who is from Springerville and of course knows all the Haws' up there. :)  Then on Saturday we had two subs and the first sub went to Spokane on his mission and so he talked to us a lot about the mission and it was just nice to hear about it and more specifically what a stateside spanish mission is like.  He told us that Pres. Palmer has only been there for almost two years, so he still has another one so I think he'll get released like the month before I do.  Which is awesome because I have heard so many great things about Pres. Palmer so I'm excited to get out there and meet him!  Then we had a teacher that night who was from Spokane and he told us a lot about the country that's up there and what the people are like.  PLUS, there's one more connection... :)  Yesterday we got another teacher, Hno. Ashby who is from Mesa and he went to Mesa High and graduated in 2008!  He knows the Cliffords and the Tryons and it was kinda fun talking to him for a bit too. :)

  We've had a lot of subs this week but I kind of like it on one hand because we get so many different perspectives about teaching and different methods about certain things and it's just great to be able to learn from so many awesome teachers! :)

  So you'll never guess what I did last week... So Hna Christoffersen and Hna Peak both like to do choir so before the trio we would do splits and I would just stay with Hna Morgan.  But, since we can no longer do that b/c we don't have Hna Morgan, I get to go to choir and sing with them now... :)  Oh happy day. :) haha  It's actually kind of fun and I enjoy getting to learn so much about the songs and stuff.  Right now my companions and I are preparing a special musical number to do in sacrament in a couple of weeks.  I'll be playing the piano of course. :) haha I'm not singing unless I have to. :)

  I love you all and am so grateful for the chance I have to hear from you all regularly!! :)  I love my mission and can't wait to get out in the field! :)  Love you!

Love,
  Hermana Haws