Sharing the Gospel in the Washington Spokane Mission

Monday, June 13, 2011

Hello Family! :)

Dearest Family! :)
  Another busy week here... So much has happened! First of all, thank you, mom, for the package. It's so nice to get more recipes and more options for dinner!  Our options are limited so anything you wish to share, please do. :) haha  Also, Sis. Willis' parents are in my english ward, and I met them yesterday.  They are such a nice couple and I was so excited when I found that out. 
  The area is good.  We didn't quite get our goal of 20 lessons this week, but it was better and this week we are really trying to find more, especially in the spanish area.  But yesterday we went and visited a spanish potential and while we were talking to him we found out that he is a less active member named Santana Mejilla who was baptized in Guatemala and just hasn't been to church since he's been in the States.  But that's not even the best part... We asked him if he knew where more spanish people lived and he said in the duplexes across the street there were a ton of spanish living there.  Sis. Young and I are so excited!! We're going to be tracking there the next couple of days to see if we can find more spanish people to teach.  As far as the Pines ward goes, we have been visiting Less Active and Part member families and we found one family that has a lot of potential.  His name is Brandon Fenton and he is a less active member who is living with his fiance.  They have two kids and his fiance, Alena, is so cute!  I love her!  She is happy and bubbly and just such a joy to talk to and be around. She used to be a Jehovah's witness but left when she was 19.  She was disfellowshipped by her congregation and now she wants to have a basis and a church for her kids to attend because she knew that that helped her out a lot when she was younger.  But, even though Brandon is inactive he says that his kids will only attend a 'Mormon' church if they attend a church.  So, Alena is open and wants to learn more and we are so excited to teach her!  We also got a new investigator, Patty, on the spanish side.  She has had a pretty tough life but is honest and sincere and has really opened up to us.  We had a great lesson with her this week and at the end of the lesson we invited her to pray and at first she declined because she said that she hadn't prayed in so long, but after we talked to her for a little bit she did say the prayer and it was honestly one of the most sincere and heartfelt prayers I have ever heard.  It's amazing how fast you can grow to love someone that you have only spent an hour with, but that's especially how I feel about Patty.  :)
  Sis. Young is great!  She is such a great example to me.  She has such a strong and burning testimony of the Book of Mormon and everyday we share with each other what we learn from it. She is always so happy and cheerful and everyday is just a blessing to serve with her because you can tell how much she loves the mission and that she finds such joy in serving the people here.  She is bold and loving and just amazing!
  This past Friday we had a new missionary training and all missionaries that are in their first or second transfer plus their trainers got to attend.  It was so good!! Pres and Sis Palmer were there plus the AP's and we did a lot of role playing and it was all about the Fundamentals of Preach My Gospel.  We did it on Teach People- Not Lessons, Receiving Revelation through the Book of Mormon, and Receiving revelation through prayer.  It was amazing!! Preach My Gospel really is such an inspired manual and the way that they are now training us to use it really is just... awesome.  :)  haha I know I use that word a lot to describe so much stuff that happens here, but it really is so true and I love this opportunity I have to serve here!  Washington is beautiful, the people are wonderful, and I love being a missionary and getting to witness so many miracles!  Thank you all for your love and support!  Love ya! :)
Love,
  Hermana Haws