Querida Familia!!
This was just an absolutely awesome week and General Conference just topped it all off!! I love the chance that we have to listen to a living prophet and to the apostles and other leaders of the church. They truly are men called of God to help guide us and show us what we need to do. But before we get into conference, just a quick update on everybody...
Lamberto y Mari: They're still doing good... Now he's the one reading in the Book of Mormon! These two are great and they do have such a big desire to learn, but we're having a hard time getting them to come to church. Mari's had quite a few spiritual experiences this past week, but she still tells us that she's not sure which church is true. We just keep telling her to pray about it; God loves her and wants her to know the truth. They're oh so close! Keep praying for them that they will read and recognize their answers to prayers. Steve Wallin: So, Steve is a referral from a member... He was given a Book of Mormon by this member a while ago and he's been reading in it, but finally is ready to talk with missionaries. Well, our first time meeting with him was that time that when Sis. Probst got super sick in the middle of the lesson. We talked for a little bit but then set up another time we could go back. So, this past week we got to see and talk with him again. We talked more about the Restoration through Joseph Smith and the Book of Mormon. We encouraged him to read it and then the next day we met with him again. By the time that we met with him the next day, he'd already read 12 chapters of the Book of Mormon. He said that he hadn't understood a lot of it, but then we asked him questions and he did know quite a bit. But he said that he was a little confused about the tree that they kept mentioning. Ding Ding Ding! The tree of life; Lehi's dream! I love that part! So, we re read it with him and talked about the symbolism of the dream... It was so sweet! And he was really understanding! When we got to the part about the fruit of the Tree of Life and how it's the Atonement of Jesus Christ, he said, " Oh, well, so if I want to be happy, I have to be on this path and hold onto this rod, which are the scriptures, then I can take part of the Atonement and turn everything over to Christ, and then he will help me." That's just a paraphrase of what he said, but you can tell that he was starting to understand it! The Spirit was really strong and we invited him to be baptized and he accepted, so now he has a baptism date for May 5th! We're really excited for him. I love having a chance to work with so many people and to help them see how the gospel of Jesus Christ really can make them happy.
And now for conference!! It was amazing... I loved that so much emphasis was put on the family. The importance of families, the importance of teaching in the family, being righteous examples, etc. I also loved the emphasis that was put on living the gospel of Jesus Christ and having it embedded in your heart. Elder Anderson's talk about "What thinketh Christ of me?" and Elder Eyring's talk about overcoming trials with faith were some of my favorites. I love the chance we have to learn more through a living prophet and to receive guidance and council from a loving Heavenly Father. He loves us and doesn't want us to be alone. That's why he's given us so many tools along the way. When we hold onto them and learn more of Christ, his doctrine becomes part of us and we learn more about true discipleship.
Well, that's about it for the week! I love you tons!! Mom, thanks for the packages this week! We started the Easter puzzle today. :) I love you all! Have a great week!
Love,
Hermana Haws